T.E.I. Crete is a Public Educational Institution. Its constitutional mission is the Bachelor’s degree in 15 specialties, Postgraduate Education, research and direct contribution to the development of Crete and the Country, with Life Learning, offering technology and consulting services and transferring know-how.
The Foundation, with around 400 educators, with high performance and recognition in research and education and with specialized Technical and Administrative Staff, provides high quality education (as recorded by external evaluations) to more than 12,000 active students. The courses are offered at the headquarters of the TEI of Heraklion and 5 other cities in Crete (Chania, Rethymno, Agios Nikolaos, Ierapetra and Sitia) in subjects of Engineering and Informatics, Administration and Economy, Agriculture and Health and Welfare.
The Foundation’s and School’s Management is constantly taking care of the effectiveness of the study, the visibility of the Graduates and the professional rehabilitation of the alumni, the top quality student halls, and the 6 restaurants and canteens of the Foundation. Local communities in the six cities surround and support the student communities.
As of June 2013, the faculties at TEI of Crete were formulated as follows:
- School of Administration and Economics, based in Heraklion.
- School of Health and Welfare Professions, based in Heraklion.
- School of Applied Sciences, based in Chania.
- School of Technology of Agriculture and Food Technology, based in Sitia.
- School of Technological Applications, based in Heraklion.
The Technological Educational Institute of Crete offers the Academic Community and the public in general a series of services that can be summarized as follows:
- Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) for the evaluation of the units of the Foundation.
- Library of the Foundation addressed to the entire academic community.
- Department of Student Welfare.
- Special Research Account (ELKE) for the management of research and development projects.
- Department of Public & International Relations.
- Employment and Career Structure coordinated by the Practice Exercise Office, the Innovation and Business Unit and the Interconnection Office.
- Support for Information and Communication Technologies, from the IT Department of Management and the Network Control and Management Center.
Students have unlimited opportunities for active participation in research and development programs (the TEI of Crete has top performance and recognition among peers), for student exchanges with more than 120 Higher Institutions abroad and for paid work in the Foundation’s workshops. In addition, they can continue with Postgraduate and Doctoral Studies at the Foundation and other collaborating Institutions of the Country and abroad, with the support of the proffessors of TEI of Crete.
Opportunities for intellectual and recreational activities of the students are too many and are being developed very quickly with the support of the Foundation. The new students have personal counseling on arrival and then staff from the Schools.